I wanted something to celebrate in November because it’s too early to get excited about Christmas and I’m no lover of Autumn. Thanksgiving seemed an appropriate celebration to borrow from our friends across the pond and although it’s not a holiday over here I’m celebrating the spirit of the day – the turkey etc will have to wait until the weekend!
It’s arrived at a good time because I’ve been a bit grumpy of late and there’s simply no good reason for it (other than the weather). So to shake me out of my grump I decided to write down reasons to be darned thankful for the life I’m lucky to have ..
- I woke up breathing this morning and everything was in full working order – the creaking bones just accompany the soundtrack that is my life
- A warm blanket of fur ran at me in appreciation and covered me in wet licks he was so pleased to see me – I should explain that was Harveyhound!
- I have somewhere safe to come in from the cold and wet. My home is warm, calm and clean (don’t run your finger through the dust, I’ve been busy ok!)
- My cupboards have food in them, and the fridge too
- I’m thankful for the opportunity to earn a living
- I had an education and still have chance to learn so much more
- There are people to love and they love me back
- I’ve had adventures (some I could have done without!) and I’m optimistic enough to think I’ll have more
Most of the above are ‘basics’ – health, safety, a warm roof over your head, enough food to eat, education, ability to earn, and love. I have more than the basics, compared to many I have abundance. For all these gifts I am truly thankful.
Warm wishes to you this Thanksgiving.