I am not a writer, I’m not even remotely chatty, which brings me to why I’ve signed up for a 30 day journaling challenge. A recent tarot card reading (don’t judge, I was curious) said I needed to take myself off into the wilderness with pen and paper and find myself. So here I am, in the wilderness of my own brain, trying to find myself.
Day one and today’s subject – Who Am I? Could we have started with an easier question, I could be here for a long time .. I started making a list
- someone’s daughter
- someone’s sister
- someone’s ex-wife
- I am everything that anyone else has told me I am
- I’m my past and my present and everything in between
Or am I?
The more I thought about it the more I believe that I am no longer defined by any of these descriptions and labels.
From a recent yoga retreat I found that I am
- strong and thoughtful
- soft and kind
- happiest sitting in the sun looking at the ocean, or in my garden
- vulnerable (phew that took a lot to admit)
- someone who needs to move my body, stretch like a cat, twirl & dance
- able to create my own energy and inspiration
- grateful for all that I have, and for every day I wake up breathing
- the lady with mermaid’s hair (ok that was from the tarot card reader!)
- good enough, just as I am
Once I moved past the old stories running through my mind and the external ‘noise’, and took time to really feel who I was, I realised I am the person I always wanted to be.